Have you ever wondered how technology is affecting how we relate to one another? Can you look back over your life and see how your relationships have changed since the advent of texting, Facebook, and Twitter? I can. And this TED talk by Sherry Turkle hits the nail on the head.
I used to be good at self-reflection. I journaled a lot, and you can look back at old blog posts here and see how I processed my life in writing. Some called it navel-gazing, and when taken to the extreme, it can be.
But I don't like the fact that the time I used to spend in rich reflection and conversation (even if just with myself) has been, for the most part, replaced with mere connection. I turn to Facebook or my phone to text instead of journaling. I'm amazed by how satisfied I feel when I have dinner with a friend and we have meaningful conversation. When I'm disappointed by a less-than-satisfying interaction with a real human being, I turn to my computer to try to make up for it. Which never really works.
I've been "used for spare parts," and I've been guilty of using others.
This talk reminds me that it's right to think twice (or three or four times) about how involved with and reliant upon technology we allow ourselves to become. When you start to see yourself sacrificing conversation for mere connection, it's time to step back and evaluate. Do you want real friends, or machines?
No comments:
Post a Comment