"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating—in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life."
I love that! Because I don't know about you, but my head is often the barrier to my life. Many times, my analytical side serves me well, such as in my job where I pick apart grammar all day or at home when I dissect my finances. But just as many times over the course of my life, that little engine that cranks along inside my head and refuses to quit has set up roadblocks to some cool stuff happening. In work, in play, and in love.
But recently, I have gotten on a kick of deciding and committing to quite a few things, thus silencing that engine. And oh... the peace and quiet... it's glorious! Yes, these commitments are just material things—new carpet and some new furniture—but they are a symbolic starting point to me. The fact that I'm choosing, committing, and being happy with my decisions is giving me some renewed hope and faith in myself and how God works in my life.
If you're like me and you've allowed your head to be a barrier to your life, or you've made some bad decisions that make you distrust your head or your heart or both, try going against what might feel natural—commit to something. Punch that fear in the face. Tell hesitation to take a hike. Place your trust in the One who loves you the same no matter what decisions you make.
Then feel the wide open space...
2 comments:
That's good, Darcie. I like that.
What a great quote and good for you! Such a terrific way of describing the reward of the Lord: “to remove your head as the barrier to your life”. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment