Last Monday, I got a new job.
After a long process, I have been offered an Associate Editor position here. In just a week, I will be traveling across town to a cubicle office in a tall, glass building. I never thought I'd work in a cubicle. But it's a green cubicle, and one cubicle away from a window, so pretty much the best cubicle home you could ask for.
I will miss this old, revamped warehouse downtown. I'll miss the eclectic mix of people I see here everyday. The guys I work for who are more like uncles than bosses. The massage school where I can get cheap chair massages on my lunch break. My colorful hair stylist in the salon. Friends from church who join me for lunch. Trustworthy mechanics across the train tracks. My ten minute drive to work. Being able to go home on my lunch break, or to my bank, or my church, or anywhere else for that matter, since pretty much everything is downtown in this area.
I won't miss being the mail delivery person, or the coffee-making person, or the "Where's the copy paper and how do I run this machine?" person, or the phone operator person, however.
I told God last year that I didn't want to be decorating the office for Christmas again this year, and He has been faithful. I'm leaving just in time to avoid the fake garland and gold deer figurines.
And I'm looking forward to this new season. To being challenged, to being kept on my toes, to making new friends, to establishing new habits (earlier morning rising!), to working with passion, to being entrusted with more "territory." I do not take it lightly. It will still be a job, I know, but hopefully one that feels less like a job than any I have had before. Thank you, Jesus.
These verses have been on my desk for months, and they will go with me when I pack up my quotes to move to their new cubicle home:
"Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret -- it only causes harm."
7 comments:
Congratulations, Darce! I have to admit, i'm a bit jealous. That's awesome. I'm so happy for you.
Blessings to you on this next step. Rockin!
[So does this mean that when I finish my book, you can get me in the back door? Kidding! Totally kidding... but can you? ;- ) ]
thanks, dave!
well, it very literally would be the back door... i'm going to be in backlist development -- which is handling the books that have already been published, turning hard backs into paper backs, cataloging, creating new stuff. so you never know! i will be working with the fiction division... :)
CONGRATS, Ms. Editor!!! Wow, you almost make me miss the office life ...
I may have new exciting news for you soon also. For now, it would be good if I could manage to reply to emails ...
You have an amazing talent with the pen/keyboard. I hope things work out for you at TN. If they are smart, they will publish your writings.
r.
Wow. A whole year without blogging. You're a stronger person than I.
Peace and grace, Darce. Have a great day.
--TeacherDave (11/28/06)
Post a Comment